Disco Biscuits Boston 07 Pollock

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:06 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Disco Biscuits Boston 07 Pollock

arodri70
Art Expert

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:06 pm

looking at the picture, looks like it is #'ed out of 300
phishbeatles
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Yeah this print looks pretty sick, glow in the dark as well. I just wish it wasn't for DB.
phishscidmbk
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Though originally intended on being a bookbinding press, Stonehenge stock run, once Jim started working with the pulpy, cotten fiber of the Stonehenge paper, he quickly noticed the pigments of the glow-in-the-dark ink were not setting properly and would flake off too easily. In anticipation of losing all his hard work put into creating the glow-in-the-dark layers, he was forced to switch to Living Tree stock and for strength and overall evenness of the impressions, he's utilizing the Washington Press instead of the bookbinding press. Keep in mind, the Washington Press IS STILL a hand-pressed production and Jim again was forced last minute to switch from the Stonehenge to Living Tree.

Jim has decided to use a fixative to secure Subscriber Only releases of this run so that the glow-in-the-dark pigment stays affixed to the posters. I will issue a caution and "How to Care for you Poster" to EB warning collectors to purchase an over the counter fixative at their local craft store to insure the glowing granular pigments stay intact on the stock.

In my opinion, those who keep these works flat or framed will likely be the pieces that increase in value as I imagine those pieces that are traded often, rolled and rolled from tubes or otherwise not cared for (using the recommended fixative) might discolor and will certainly flake away, leaving only properly cared for and Pollock's Subscriber issued, fixative sprayed, pieces remaining in the finest, most sought after condition. The decision to cure only Subscribers posters came late as the experimental nature of printing with linoleum blocks and glow in the dark inks was only discovered recently. Spraying fixative over 250 posters, not allowing proper drying time and immediately shipping them then stacked together to the show just didn't seem like a smart idea.

From Pollock...

"I think this print came out pretty freakin cool. The glow-in-the-dark pigments took sometime to get used to using. The effect is kind of a sandy wash. The process was kind of like blockprinting with sand. I mixed these glow-in-the-dark pigments from riskreactor.com with some linseed oil into a paste. The paste, I then mixed with blockprinting medium. The pigment granuals are quite big and heavy. The pigment would build up on the plates and the brayer glass. I would have to scrape them down every couple of prints and mix the pigment back with some more printing medium. A big pain in the butt, but completely worth it on completion. The imagery comes from the beautiful facade of the Orpheum Theater and some figures from the great Jose Posada.
CubsFan4Life
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:49 pm

Its ok. I'm usually a fan of all of Pollock art but this one doesn't really get me. I hope he keeps doing prints for the biscuits though. They are one of my favorite bands and its nice to have a couple of quality posters for them. I love the NYE print.
JGiese
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:19 pm

He's keeping busy this year. Nice print....
phishscidmbk
Art Enthusiast

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:41 am

all i know is I want one

and when i get it

THESE should be shipped flat for the glow in the dark ink
jim hasent done it in a while and i bet the paint will grad wear with exposure
timothyripley
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Glow in the dark inks? huh.
phishscidmbk
Art Enthusiast

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:53 pm

yea pollock and and glow ink ....BANG

think they like it now ..... what untill they light hit it .....

yo tim

we both joined exactly a yr apart .
timothyripley
Art Connoisseur

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:25 am

Yeah, its my sons bday too. Although I think I joined a year before he popped out.

Are we early EB editions? Or did most peeps join bout the same time?

Seems like EB has blown up, since I first joined.
1strowcenter
Art Enthusiast

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:44 am

I like the throwback to the Clifford ball bookmark with the crunched up face at the top.
Looking for NYE 97 Lesser
liamc93
Art Expert

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:38 am

quiksilvr22
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:57 pm

The poster on the website looks different. You still think its GID?
ImageImage