The War of the Worlds 14 Whalen

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
kushmeja
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:18 pm

I really like the variant, but $100 is pretty steep for something that is just an alternate colorway.
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:19 pm

kushmeja wrote:I really like the variant, but $100 is pretty steep for something that is just an alternate colorway.
That's why the jump to foil makes better sense, imo...

(and a way lower edition for collectibility)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
DonPiano
Art Expert

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:23 pm

The purple is very nice. But I think the orange works much better in my opinion. This is one of my favourite films and I always remember the church near the end - the desolate ruined town. The orange evokes that a lot more than the purple does for me.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:24 pm

I think I like the variant colorway better but the reg would look nice alongside the Duck Dodgers I have framed.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Both evoke the film...

DonPiano
Art Expert

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:26 pm

Without a doubt both evoke the look of the film, but for me the orange evokes the feeling a lot more.

Add the fact that this will go next to it as well: Image
The Curb

rubberneck
Art God

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm talking about the color palette... 8)

There are pinks blues and oranges all throughout, neither is truly representative.

ImageImage Image

jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:31 pm

I think you can't go wrong with either. Like soft or hard tacos. ;)

Seriously though, great work by Whalen, my favorite of his designs/compositions. Great job with the landscape orientation. Wish I could swing this but alas, can't always get what you want and all. Congrats to folks who scored, looking forward to pics of the foil variants (feels like the variant's purples/pinks will work well with the foil).
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:37 pm

jkw3000 wrote:I think you can't go wrong with either. Like soft or hard tacos. ;)

Seriously though, great work by Whalen, my favorite of his designs/compositions. Great job with the landscape orientation. Wish I could swing this but alas, can't always get what you want and all. Congrats to folks who scored, looking forward to pics of the foil variants (feels like the variant's purples/pinks will work well with the foil).

Still think Kakos print from the opening is a nice alternative, very underrated on here.

Great GID.

silo
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:44 pm

War of the Worlds.jpg
A cleaner updated layout to one of the original posters. Very similar composition. Like it.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:47 pm

Nice!

Fan of the angle/perspective of the Whalen piece. For me, Whalen always does such a great job but they also come in very dead-on/symmetrical/flat angles. Love how in-the-moment and not straightfoward-angle this piece is - my favorite Whalens tend less towards montage compositions (though I understand that's his strength and what people like about him) and more towards being within the scene, really taking advantage of the full scope of the paper. Great callback to the original while definitely having Whalen's touch.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
stefansf
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:08 pm

My first Whalen piece. And this looks ridiculously awesome. Snagged a variant!
DonPiano
Art Expert

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:32 am

Surprised these are still available. Guess people get really butthurt about shipping costs and print prices. $20 international shipping is wonderful. :pint:
The Curb

chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:09 am

ISO Tom cruise likeness variant. With glow in the dark Tim Robbins.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
summoner
Art Freak

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:06 am

rubberneck wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:I think you can't go wrong with either. Like soft or hard tacos. ;)

Still think Kakos print from the opening is a nice alternative, very underrated on here.

Great GID.
Not great, drymounting amazing GID! Probably one of my favorite prints. Anyone that looks at the JPEG is meh, but when you see it in person you immediately realize it blows so many prints out of the water... And you can pick one up for damn near cost.
Image Image Image