December 9th 1965 07 Brabant

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:34 pm

this thread reminds me of a song:

You walked into the party
Like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror
As you watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and

You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain
I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you?

You had me several years ago
When I was still quite naive
Well, you said that we made such a pretty pair
And that you would never leave
But you gave away the things you loved
And one of them was me
I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee, and

You're so vain
You're so vain
Don't you? Don't you?

I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee, and

You're so vain
You're so vain
Don't you? Don't you?

Well, I hear you went up to Saratoga
And your horse naturally won
Then you flew your Lear jet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun
Well, you're where you should be all the time
And when you're not, you're with
Some underworld spy or the wife of a close friend
Wife of a close friend, and

You're so vain
You're so vain
Don't you? Don't you?
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:44 pm

probably. i emailed mark immediately after realising that the direct route was better. but it was 4am after a very long day of working, and the last thing i needed was a bunch of emails from the record label and everyone else that released the record the artwork was used for, spitting hellfire about the whole situation. i was marginally cranky. bit harsh perhaps, but fueled by ego or being childish? hardly. im the harshest critic of my own work. im not the one who made the initial opinion that this was a knockoff, it was the 500 emails i got last night and me going "hey...wtf".

anyways, me and mark are talking it out.

in the meantime, my not having a store should have no play in my opinion on things of this nature. webstores dont build themselves, and i am not a web page coder guy, and ive been up till all hours of the night for months trying to work on gallery work, mailorder, deadlined prints, and the store itself. when it stops having problems and i have the time to do so, given im a one man operation, ill launch it. i want it up as badly as some of you. but yeah, im gonna get back to doing that instead of defending my justifiable right to be a little irf'd about things like this.
thesavageguy
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:52 pm

I would like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that I am entering the art world with my first print. I call it 'Blue is Alive with Kings on a Cold December Night'. Hope you guys like it!

Ryefish, I've already got one packed up for you ready to go!
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:26 pm

thesavageguy wrote:
Thanks, I'll trade you for some Aquadots.
ryan_1969

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:29 pm

this was almost as bad as Justin Hampton calling out that Forbes QOTSA poster. actually, this is worse.
thesavageguy
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:39 pm

ryan_1969 wrote:this was almost as bad as Justin Hampton calling out that Forbes QOTSA poster. actually, this is worse.
A man defending his art doesn't fire me up quite as much.
jenga
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:46 pm

thesavageguy wrote:I would like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that I am entering the art world with my first print. I call it 'Blue is Alive with Kings on a Cold December Night'. Hope you guys like it!

Wow.. this is better than both. Hope your server doesn't crash when it gets released. Looks a little familiar somehow though :roll:
ryan_1969

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:02 pm

thesavageguy wrote:
ryan_1969 wrote:this was almost as bad as Justin Hampton calling out that Forbes QOTSA poster. actually, this is worse.
defending? bahahahahahahahaah. what is he defending? all rights to trees and elk? did you call dan mccarthy when danger started useing street lights and telephone poles? :lol:

thesavageguy
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:17 pm

ryan_1969 wrote:
thesavageguy wrote:
defending? bahahahahahahahaah. what is he defending? all rights to trees and elk? did you call dan mccarthy when danger started useing street lights and telephone poles? :lol:
I'm not saying he owns the rights to using elk, dark trees with a blue background, or any of that. Just like McCarthy doesn't own the rights to lights and telephone poles (which a lot of people are using, Brabant included).

BUT, when you start getting prints that are so eerily similar, doesnt there start to become an ethical issue? Are you not seeing how exact this print mimics the other? You'd be okay with an artist taking McCarthy's Roaming, flipping it horizontally and adding a shooting start at the top, then selling it as his own? I'm not specifically accusing that this happened here, or that if it did that it was intentional. I dunno, maybe the art community just doesn't care.
ryan_1969

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:22 pm

thesavageguy wrote:
ryan_1969 wrote:
thesavageguy wrote:
I'm not saying he owns the rights to using elk, dark trees with a blue background, or any of that. Just like McCarthy doesn't own the rights to lights and telephone poles (which a lot of people are using, Brabant included).

BUT, when you start getting prints that are so eerily similar, doesnt there start to become an ethical issue? Are you not seeing how exact this print mimics the other? You'd be okay with an artist taking McCarthy's Roaming, flipping it horizontally and adding a shooting start at the top, then selling it as his own? I'm not specifically accusing that this happened here, or that if it did that it was intentional. I dunno, maybe the art community just doesn't care.
is emek getting sued by James Earle Fraser?
dr_skoobie
Art Enthusiast

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:23 pm

It should be noted that a little digging around on EB will show that DD is fairly open minded about thematic similarities.

Brabant's stuff recalls, variously, both DD and Dan McCarthy. There are others who seem to share certain thematic and stylistic similarities (Mike Klay comes to mind).

I posted something about a Tyler Stout poster being similar to DD pieces (e.g., night scene, ghosties), and my recollection was that DD seemed nonplussed, mentioning similar influences, cross-pollination of ideas, that sort of thing.

Now, the Stout piece and DD's stuff are WORLDS apart compared to the similarity between these two prints. That said, I think DD's reaction should be viewed in light of his more tempered commentary elsewhere.

Of course, if that doesn't work for you, I'm happy to take choice pieces of DD off of those that are disillusioned. :D
ketstroxan
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:25 pm

I knew something stunk around here... record labels. Go figure.
clem99
EB Team

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:30 pm

ketstroxan wrote:I knew something stunk around here... record labels. Go figure.
yep its potentially a bigger picture where looking at here
let them sorted it out, we just post our thoughts which is all good
keep em coming i am having a good laugh on a saturday morning
nothing wrong with free light entertainment
art is the only justification for pain :)
usamamasan1
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:41 pm

I find it hillarious when artists...(BK)... start to get all up in arms over how much "work" they are doing. If they truly feel like they are too much on the clock and are pushing for deadlines with their art that they complain about the work invloved...it really does make my ass laugh.

Not that the amount of work they put in is quantifiable and worthy...just don't bitch about it. I don't think your gonna get a whole bunch of sympathy. We all have our labors and many would say you get to do what you love (hopefuly you love making art) so shut the drymount up.

We are at work so we can buy the fudge so you don't have to work for the man. :violin:
thesavageguy
Art Expert

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:46 pm

Can someone explain an ass laugh to me?

Or do I even want to know?