Dave Matthews Band Atlanta 07 Methane

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:22 am

meh
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:26 am

dreamingtree#41 wrote:
turnJBup wrote:What a sad day.
The Allman Brothers opening for Dave Matthews.

I don't even know what to say.....
Why do some people on here "discount" DMB's musical talent? I understand that the majority of their prints are lame, due to Methane (Patent Pending has drawn up some good ones), but just because they do not have decent prints does it warrant them disrespect musically? Before These Crowded Streets is one of the most complex musically and lyrically written albums of all time. I understand that DMB has released Everyday and Stand Up, but does that erase what they put out before that. Also, DMB has plenty of unreleased material that is that is quite complex that is only played live.

The beauty of DMB is that they are always evolving. If one examines most of their songs, then they will find that material is added to a song over time. Dave Matthews has been quoted to say that they "retire" songs when they believe they are "complete", and only a handful of songs are in this category, such as I'll Back You Up.

One of the "perks" of following DMB over the years is that each tour will be different than the previous one. In fact, a Summer Tour has a completely different engery/flow than a Winter Tour in the same year. Also, if one follows the actual tour, then they will find that the tour itself evolves over the life of that tour. For example, new songs will be played and evolve over the tour, or “old” songs will appear out of no where and could have a new “outro” or “intro” added to it.

Finally, another variable that makes Dave Matthews a musical genius is the different musicians he tours with. DMB is different than Dave Matthews and Tim Reylonds, and The Dave and Friends Tour was different as well. The beauty of the latter is that some songs are played on all three tours and each song can take a different "tone" depending on which musicians are playing it.

I understand that DMB can take some "flak" because of some of their fan base can be idiots at shows or people get pissed because they believe some collectors over inflate the price of a print (remember a print is worth what one is willing to pay for it), but that should not take away from DMB or Dave Matthews.

One a random side note, some of DMBs best shows and guests (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and Trey) have been played in Atlanta since the mid 1990's.
It has nothing to do with posters....
If this line up doesn't seem backwards to you, then you might be young.
You didn't say anything about the Allmans.
The Allman Brothers ARE Atlanta.
Not bagging on DMB.... but there isn't even a guitar player in the band.
Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are in the top 20... probably top 10 rock guitarists in the world.

I would have liked to gone to the show to see the reaction.
pjtaper
Art Freak

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:33 am

dreamingtree#41 wrote:
turnJBup wrote:What a sad day.
The Allman Brothers opening for Dave Matthews.

I don't even know what to say.....
Why do some people on here "discount" DMB's musical talent? I understand that the majority of their prints are lame, due to Methane (Patent Pending has drawn up some good ones), but just because they do not have decent prints does it warrant them disrespect musically? Before These Crowded Streets is one of the most complex musically and lyrically written albums of all time. I understand that DMB has released Everyday and Stand Up, but does that erase what they put out before that. Also, DMB has plenty of unreleased material that is that is quite complex that is only played live.

The beauty of DMB is that they are always evolving. If one examines most of their songs, then they will find that material is added to a song over time. Dave Matthews has been quoted to say that they "retire" songs when they believe they are "complete", and only a handful of songs are in this category, such as I'll Back You Up.

One of the "perks" of following DMB over the years is that each tour will be different than the previous one. In fact, a Summer Tour has a completely different engery/flow than a Winter Tour in the same year. Also, if one follows the actual tour, then they will find that the tour itself evolves over the life of that tour. For example, new songs will be played and evolve over the tour, or “old” songs will appear out of no where and could have a new “outro” or “intro” added to it.

Finally, another variable that makes Dave Matthews a musical genius is the different musicians he tours with. DMB is different than Dave Matthews and Tim Reylonds, and The Dave and Friends Tour was different as well. The beauty of the latter is that some songs are played on all three tours and each song can take a different "tone" depending on which musicians are playing it.

I understand that DMB can take some "flak" because of some of their fan base can be idiots at shows or people get pissed because they believe some collectors over inflate the price of a print (remember a print is worth what one is willing to pay for it), but that should not take away from DMB or Dave Matthews.

One a random side note, some of DMBs best shows and guests (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and Trey) have been played in Atlanta since the mid 1990's.
I used to like Dave Matthews, especially when Tim Reynolds played guitar, his shows were fun, so many hot girls, but that was when I was like 17 years old... I have seen DMB at least 10 times... The last time I WILL EVER SEE DAVE was for 3 shows at Deer Creek, 3 nights in a row. He had a new album coming out, but only played about 3 new songs from the album, and just repeated those songs every night... We were only going to go for the first two nights, but we heard Santana would be there for night three, so we traded some of the glass pieces we were selling for tickets...
Boring show, nothing new, encore time... DMB comes out and plays DRIVE IN DRIVE OUT... WTF? They played this song both nights before, and now they are going to end the final show with that bullshite song?
Dave Matthews SUCKS! His new albums have all been garbage, he has drug problems, and I could go on and on...
One more thing,
Methane=Ames Bros
liamc93
Art Expert

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:05 pm

Before These Crowded Streets is one of the most complex musically and lyrically written albums of all time.
:roll:
DMBfan
Art Expert

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:09 pm

pjtaper wrote:Dave Matthews SUCKS! His new albums have all been garbage, he has drug problems, and I could go on and on...
One more thing,
Methane=Ames Bros
Please tell us how you really feel. :lol:
ketstroxan
Art Expert

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:10 pm

I got respect for Before These Crowded Streets, though I haven't listened to it in several years.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Allman Brothers live at Fillmore.
Compare some DMB to that fudge.
guyforget
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Allmans w/
turnJBup wrote: Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks
vs.
turnJBup wrote:Allman Brothers live at Fillmore.
When was that, 1970?

Either way, theyre two totally different things.
pjtaper wrote: I'm glad EMEK knows I'm not a flipper
DMBfan
Art Expert

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:32 pm

The DMB cover with Warren haynes of Neil Youngs Cortez the Killer is awesome. You can find it on the Live at Central Park CD from 2003. I was hoping they would play it with Warren again in Atlanta, he shreds on the guitar. Warren Haynes was awesome at Farm Aid too, it was cool to see him solo for a while.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:46 pm

guyforget wrote:Allmans w/
turnJBup wrote: Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks
vs.
turnJBup wrote:Allman Brothers live at Fillmore.
When was that, 1970?

Either way, theyre two totally different things.
Exactly... was Dave even alive in 1970?

Duane Allman
Dickey Betts
Warren Haynes
Derek Trucks
four totally different things...

Nothing against DMB... I'll bet if you ask him he would be surprized how times have changed.

I live on meat and potatoes that's all....
There is no nutritional value in bubble gum.
thesavageguy
Art Expert

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:48 pm

turnJBup wrote:
Not bagging on DMB.... but there isn't even AN ELECTRIC guitar player in the band.
Fixed it for ya.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:49 pm

PS.
I saw DMB a handful of times in the early and late 90's.
Entertaining for sure.... quality as well.
I'm just really surprised... that's all.

I saw the Allmans three years ago and it was one of the better shows I've seen them do in the 17 years I've been going.

G'day all...
davidmerrick
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:07 pm

both talented
can't compare the two

all i can say is allmans at the beacon
getoutoftheleftlane
Art Connoisseur

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:19 pm

all i can say is that someone needs to give me this poster.

it seems like a lot of methane hating going on in here. well, pass this sucker on this way then.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:49 pm

getoutoftheleftlane wrote:all i can say is that someone needs to give me this poster.

it seems like a lot of methane hating going on in here. well, pass this sucker on this way then.

I only have one Methane poster....
The Dave and Tim Santa Barbara/Wiltern.
I dig the image, but it is by far the poorest printing I have ever seen on a gig poster.