The Fifth Element 13 Eng

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Skrilly
Art Expert

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:46 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:Looks awesome.
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Dammit, I love Eng and the Fifth Element, but this is far under his capabilities. His work and style is phenomenal, but I feel it hasn't really lent itself well to screen printing. Something like Dune was awesome, but for a commissioned piece, this is missing certain elements. They look like dolls, and the type leaves much to be desired.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:30 am

Skrilly wrote:
bulkhead72 wrote:Looks awesome.
RomanMorales
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:12 am

Just curious about the creative process on this piece. The art is gorgeous. Eng kills it as he always does. I am wondering where in the piece is there anything that says "The Fifth Element" other than the title? There is a woman at the bottom that is just a silhouette. There are spaceships, so it is the future. Check... The color palette just seems so cold for a palette that was so warm in the cities. Lots of yellow and orange buildings in the city.... The art itself is great, I'm just curious if someone would like to explain the creative choices? Maybe there is some type of symbolism I am not seeing.

The same goes with the narrative, what about this piece gives you any sense of the story? I would love to hear the story behind the creation of the piece and why these decisions were made from an art directors point of view.
"Listen, the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas." - Bill Hicks Image
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:31 am

^ Besides the title, the flying cars are prominent in the film. The silhouettes at the center are supposed to be Korben and Leeloo, of course.

** Movie spoilers below **

The focal point of the print depicts the final scene in the film, where five points of the Divine Light stream out of Leeloo, with one stream heading upwards and destroying the Great Evil. It's pretty straightforward if you've seen the movie. :)

With regards to art direction, I can't really comment on it, but it looks like Eng has beautifully captured the story here, using the color palette and style he is known for.
Last edited by bulkhead72 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dra666
Art Enthusiast

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:35 am

Great print. how many of these are out there? just want to work out my chances of ever owning one...
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:38 am

dra666 wrote:Great print. how many of these are out there? just want to work out my chances of ever owning one...
There are a decent amount, it won't be too tough to track one down. What the price will be is the bigger question.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:39 am

bulkhead72 wrote:^ Besides the title, the flying cars are prominent in the film. The silhouettes at the center are supposed to be Korben and Leeloo, of course.

The focal point of the print depicts the final scene in the film, where five points of the Divine Light stream out of Leeloo, with one stream heading upwards and destroying the Great Evil. It's pretty straightforward if you've seen the movie. :)

With regards to art direction, I can't really comment on it, but it looks like Eng has beautifully captured the story here, using the color palette and style he is known for.
Yeah, I thought it was easy to grasp the story at first glance. There is an obvious threat at the top, you have the combination of the five points, it is sci-fi, etc.

Edit: Just adding that I had nothing to do with the creative process. :lol:
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:43 am

we were given a few sketches to choose from & the whole group voted to choose this one. I like it alot personally it has other details besides the ones Amer mentioned. The taxi & chinese food boat are often overlooked by most peole

but yeah pretty straightforward if you have seen the movie like Amer said

the only thing that was art directed on this was the silhouettes. Eng knocked this outta the park
Last edited by GiantBoyDective on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
RomanMorales
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:45 am

bulkhead72 wrote:^ Besides the title, the flying cars are prominent in the film. The silhouettes at the center are supposed to be Korben and Leeloo, of course.

I have seen the movie several times. I just did not see The Fifth Element in the piece. With that being said, your explanation clarifies what you (or whoever did the art direction) were going for. I could see that. Not the way I would've gone, but that's besides the point. It seems everyone that was a part of the piece was collectively happy with the same vision. in that spirit, my hats off to you.The film is licensed to someone else. I will be curious to see how it stands up over time considering the effectiveness of the art here. Time will tell. :) Salud on a beautiful piece.
"Listen, the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas." - Bill Hicks Image
LeeKaye
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:01 am

I really like it. Probably not enough to get fleeced for a copy though...
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:16 am

jrsheppa wrote:
dra666 wrote:Great print. how many of these are out there? just want to work out my chances of ever owning one...
There are a decent amount, it won't be too tough to track one down. What the price will be is the bigger question.
I will sell you mine for $375 plus you pay shipping and fees.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:25 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
I will sell you mine for $375 plus you pay shipping and fees.
Trade for Gabz prints?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
omgkitty
Art Expert

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:41 am

Love the print, but wish Eng had chosen a different font for the titles. I know it was used on a few of the original posters, but it's kinda terrible.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 am

omgkitty wrote:Love the print, but wish Eng had chosen a different font for the titles. I know it was used on a few of the original posters, but it's kinda terrible.
Brand recognition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"