Fast Times at Ridgemont High 13 Dye

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
punch
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:56 pm

ZoSoTim wrote:I hadn't seen the D&C print before I bought the Fast Times prints and while I still like them it is disappointing to see that they just ripped off an old poster. Not usually a Blunt Graffix fan (have an cool VH print they did) but this one caught my eye. I guess I know why I liked it so much now. :oops:
Thats all they do.
ZoSoTim
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:58 pm

I guess I'm still a poster noob that wasn't aware of that. And the VH print I was thinking of isn't BG but Print Mafia.

aldo
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Ctg9095 wrote:Has Dye ever done an original print before?
Snow Princess is kinda/sorta original.
rka00
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:25 pm

I like it :D
Moonduckie78
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Come on......you can't F*CK with DARTH CHOCOLATE.......that sh*t is awesome.

I liked his 2001 print, too.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:43 pm

Moonduckie78 wrote:Come on......you can't F*CK with DARTH CHOCOLATE.......that sh*t is awesome.

I liked his 2001 print, too.
I have to admit, I am glad to have one of the 2001 prints but it is still just a screen of someone else's work. I would like to get my hands on the variant at some point though.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
jools
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 pm

dasponyboy wrote:
jlabbate wrote:Ummm..didn't Frank Kozik do this already? :roll:
Unbelievable.
sweet jeesus
fackin shameless hack
Frank should set Eddie on him
"Just because you have Illustrator doesn't mean you are one." - VonDada
http://www.gigposters.com/forums/poster ... oster.html
ronlovesEBandwaves
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:57 pm

I thought about Kozik right when I saw it as well.
kaz315

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Get outta here Curtis. I don't hear you unless you knock.
thevintageguy

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Flourescent is edition of 40
Dfishberg
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:59 pm

That was my skull!
Lifeisghood
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Im gonna catch a ton of fudge im sure but im a huge kozik fan and i love his Dazed & Confused poster but i gotta admit i really am digging Dye's Fast Times poster, those movies are in the same vein to me to i think its kinda cool that he threw a tribute out to kozik with this.
laugh hard, its a long way to the bank.
spunkmonkey
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:04 pm

I think the only fudge you'll catch is for calling it a tribute.
thevintageguy

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Lifeisghood wrote:Im gonna catch a ton of fudge im sure but im a huge kozik fan and i love his Dazed & Confused poster but i gotta admit i really am digging Dye's Fast Times poster, those movies are in the same vein to me to i think its kinda cool that he threw a tribute out to kozik with this.
stefansf
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:09 pm

Well, duh. Of course it's a tribute to Frank Kozik. People need some perspective.

The more art you study (and I don't mean just screen prints) the more you see that everything is a copy of a copy. It's all been done.
The posters of the 60's (Wes Wilson, Victor Moscoso etc) are clearly a huge influence on Chuck Sperry, as well as the work of Alphonse Mucha and others. He knows it and we all should. If you don't know your art history, you're doomed to believe everything you see is original. Or worse, should be. I see Gustav Klimt in much of the Malleus production. So what? So what if contemporary artists reimagine the art of the masters? It deepens the experience.
Andy Warhol copied a lot of material, brilliantly, in most cases. He started a conversation.

Bob Peak, John Alvin, Frank Frazetta and Richard Amsel's fantastic movie poster work has been used over and over again in the screen print world.
Nothing Tyler Stout has produced hasn't already been done (design elements) by one of the aforementioned artists.

Relax, enjoy the art. Nobody is ripping anyone off.

ronlovesEBandwaves wrote:

I thought about Kozik right when I saw it as well.