Jerry Garcia (Winter) 17 Sperry

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:40 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Jerry Garcia (Winter) 17 Sperry

NickyJay
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm

I cant put my finger on it but really not a fan this one.
Obviously art is subjective and this is my opinion, but to me the whole thing seems basic. I fell in love with 'Summer' and 'Fall', but this one just feels so 'simple' compared to what it could have been (a highly detailed, grizzled Garcia, better representing his later years.) I understand wanting to be 'optimistic/hopeful' but I feel like this choice goes against the story told by the previous in this series, and making him look more 'Youthful' than in Fall (2 wrinkles as opposed to 3) is a bizarre choice, and make this chronologically confusing if you were to display these alongside each other.

Also really confused by the decision to make of 1/2 the print being the matte black t-shirt. Especially when Chuck's signature swirls/embellishments would have looked great on black.
I feel like this will be referred to at trade shows as 'black t-shirt Jerry' in no time.
ryan916
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:28 am

NickyJay wrote:I cant put my finger on it but really not a fan this one.
Obviously art is subjective and this is my opinion, but to me the whole thing seems basic. I fell in love with 'Summer' and 'Fall', but this one just feels so 'simple' compared to what it could have been (a highly detailed, grizzled Garcia, better representing his later years.) I understand wanting to be 'optimistic/hopeful' but I feel like this choice goes against the story told by the previous in this series, and making him look more 'Youthful' than in Fall (2 wrinkles as opposed to 3) is a bizarre choice, and make this chronologically confusing if you were to display these alongside each other.

Also really confused by the decision to make of 1/2 the print being the matte black t-shirt. Especially when Chuck's signature swirls/embellishments would have looked great on black.
I feel like this will be referred to at trade shows as 'black t-shirt Jerry' in no time.
" I wove a psychedelic paisley pattern throughout the design - and running through the iconic black t-shirt area as a matte and glaze black effect - rendered in nine colors, including bright hues, hand-blended metallics and translucent glazes."

The shirt and print will obviously look a lot better in person than in the jpg.
NickyJay
Art Enthusiast

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:20 pm

I might be misunderstanding, but I think that all those other colors/designs are for the 'other parts' of the print. The t-shirt is still just a 'matte and glaze black effect', right? I agree this will look better in person but just seems like a weird decision, that's all.
Arterre
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:02 am

Is Sperry loosing it ?
On the small thumbnail image, it looks like there is no mouth ? What no proofing of poster ?
Teeth are grey and weird lips. Worst print ever , sorry, but Jerry deserves better
pvecchi
Art Expert

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:46 am

NickyJay wrote:I might be misunderstanding, but I think that all those other colors/designs are for the 'other parts' of the print. The t-shirt is still just a 'matte and glaze black effect', right? I agree this will look better in person but just seems like a weird decision, that's all.
There is a pattern through the black shirt that isn’t visible in the mockup. The piece looks better in person but isn’t my favorite from the set.
lujborg
Art Expert

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:01 am

Arterre wrote:Is Sperry loosing it ?
On the small thumbnail image, it looks like there is no mouth ? What no proofing of poster ?
Teeth are grey and weird lips. Worst print ever , sorry, but Jerry deserves better

I always base my purchases on this. Also sperry is tight as ever brah! :pint:
I'm here for the oil palm breeding (international society member, since 2003)
Imatruck
Art Expert

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 am

this one misses the mark.