Phish Chicago 98 Pollock

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
JJ420
Art Enthusiast

Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:57 pm

My first show of many also I bought one a few years ago it took a few years looking for one in perfect shape and it's never coming off the wall!!
dkast85
Art Enthusiast

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:18 am

This one is right behind Hartford 00 for my favorite Pollock ever. I always wonder though why it is the most expensive market price of all of them. I understand Went ones being a lot as the rumor is that most of them were destroyed due to rain. But this was at an indoor event.

I have always speculated that it could be that since it was a 3 day run they were only give so a very small amount of people. You gotta figure that the band has a few for themselves and sitting in a vault somewhere. So in reality there are probably under 80 out there and only 65 or so of those are in mint condition.
JJ420
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:50 pm

I've seen only a handful for sale over the years and always see damage never a mint one so my guess is a mint one is harder and harder to find because most did not know what they had until it was too late. That's why mines never leaving my walls.
billvala
New User

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:25 pm

I went to all 3 nights and was only beginning to understand how valuable posters like this could be. As soon as I got in the venue the first night I gathered up my buddies and asked them for all the cash they would be willing to part with. I collected $400 and went and bought 10 of these posters. They didn't hold back any for the 2nd or 3rd nights and let me pick through them to get #100. I gave posters to those who gave me money that wanted posters and was able to keep 5 for myself. I gave #98 to my brother and ended up selling one within a year(April 1999) to a girl in NY via ebay for $2950. This sale is not recorded on this site and I no longer have the aol email account I used to use back then. I spent the money on a sweet macbook pro but looking back I'd rather have the poster now. Either way I still have 3 in my possession and 2 of them have been stored flat in the dark on archival board in a plastic sleeve. The third #100 is hanging on my wall with my mail order tix. I may one day offer the other 2 up for sale but I'm finding it hard to let go of them for money. Money seems to disappear and these posters are so much fun to look at up close.

Back then I was very tight with some tapers who were in with the band. The rumor was neither Pollock nor anyone in the band kept any of these posters for themselves. And I believe many of them are now in the garbage or damaged. I'm always wondering how many of these 100 posters are left. And of those how many are mint.

If I do decide to sell one I'm going to offer it up here first.
soam24
Art Freak

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:23 pm

billvala wrote:I went to all 3 nights and was only beginning to understand how valuable posters like this could be. As soon as I got in the venue the first night I gathered up my buddies and asked them for all the cash they would be willing to part with. I collected $400 and went and bought 10 of these posters. They didn't hold back any for the 2nd or 3rd nights and let me pick through them to get #100. I gave posters to those who gave me money that wanted posters and was able to keep 5 for myself. I gave #98 to my brother and ended up selling one within a year(April 1999) to a girl in NY via ebay for $2950. This sale is not recorded on this site and I no longer have the aol email account I used to use back then. I spent the money on a sweet macbook pro but looking back I'd rather have the poster now. Either way I still have 3 in my possession and 2 of them have been stored flat in the dark on archival board in a plastic sleeve. The third #100 is hanging on my wall with my mail order tix. I may one day offer the other 2 up for sale but I'm finding it hard to let go of them for money. Money seems to disappear and these posters are so much fun to look at up close.

Back then I was very tight with some tapers who were in with the band. The rumor was neither Pollock nor anyone in the band kept any of these posters for themselves. And I believe many of them are now in the garbage or damaged. I'm always wondering how many of these 100 posters are left. And of those how many are mint.

Well if this isn't the first post! Welcome.
ThePhish1
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 pm

billvala wrote:I went to all 3 nights and was only beginning to understand how valuable posters like this could be. As soon as I got in the venue the first night I gathered up my buddies and asked them for all the cash they would be willing to part with. I collected $400 and went and bought 10 of these posters. They didn't hold back any for the 2nd or 3rd nights and let me pick through them to get #100. I gave posters to those who gave me money that wanted posters and was able to keep 5 for myself. I gave #98 to my brother and ended up selling one within a year(April 1999) to a girl in NY via ebay for $2950. This sale is not recorded on this site and I no longer have the aol email account I used to use back then. I spent the money on a sweet macbook pro but looking back I'd rather have the poster now. Either way I still have 3 in my possession and 2 of them have been stored flat in the dark on archival board in a plastic sleeve. The third #100 is hanging on my wall with my mail order tix. I may one day offer the other 2 up for sale but I'm finding it hard to let go of them for money. Money seems to disappear and these posters are so much fun to look at up close.

:shock:
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:03 am

These shows were my first sequence of multiple shows
Went to madison show the night before and the UIC's
Baked cookies for the madison phans and handed them out - not medical :lol:
Madison had a incredible glow stick war - in days when it was new

Very special time in my Phish History

Was not a posterite in those days but adding this to my collection some day would be like getting married for me :lol:

My first show was in ann arbor hill - another print id love to obtain
drock
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:51 pm

I agree with billvala, I came back to the taper's sections with my poster in hand, #4/100, and told my buddy Nick Johnson, who told the tapers and I think they bought out the run instantly. Ya, everyone was buying t-shirts in those days and there was not any line that I recall to get a poster. Ah, the good ol' daze!
I talked to Jim Pollock a few years ago when he was at TRPS (The Rock Poster Society) show that occurs the 3rd Saturday in October in Golden Gate Park, SF and Jim was amazed that I had #4. He said that the first twenty of the run typically went to the band.
UIC is my alma mater '97 and I came back for these EPIC three shows! Remember the a cappella FREEBIRD to end the three day run!?! Phenomenal!