1st Annual Art of the Year Contest

Official Expresso Beans Art News.

Postby Yamar on Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:45 am

I (suprisingly to myself) had Justin's Syd for a couple of pages as well. A pleasant suprise though...
User avatar
Yamar
Site Admin
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15193
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Ithaca, NY
Tra la la la la...

Postby pjtaper on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 am

I'm framing my Syd today!
pjtaper
Art Freak
 
Status: Banned !
Posts: 10371
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Waiting on EMEKs site for another sale...

Postby johnhell on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:02 pm

That was great. Thanks for doing this. But, you cannot have a "first annual". You can have a second annual, but never a first. The first is just the first.
johnhell
Member
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 am

Postby johnhell on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:04 pm

I voted for the great Firehouse-ERic Clapton set. I know how intense the work was on that one.
johnhell
Member
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 am

Postby robertstjohn on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:08 pm

horkey... horkey...HORKEY!!!! :twisted:
User avatar
robertstjohn
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Toledo, oHIo

Postby sasquatch on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:18 pm

I had Emek's Ben Harper print for a couple pages and then rode the Emek Ween/Flaming Lips robot horse to the finish.
User avatar
sasquatch
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3953
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:00 am

Postby Glass_eye on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:54 pm

As much as I love all the art that Emek has done this year. Nick Cave, Tool, and Ween I would like to see McCarthy or Horkey win.

It's going to be a close race at least I hope it is.

:artist: :artist: :artist:
Glass_eye
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:00 am

Postby sunsetbrew on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:38 pm

If i wasn't the insider, i would be considering betting out the outcome.

163 votes thus far! I am kinda suprised, I half expected to only get the regulars to vote since it take time and effort.

61 out of 257 prints recieved at least 1 vote, 23 of them have more than one vote.
User avatar
sunsetbrew
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3613
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Image

Postby morst on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:47 am

sunsetbrew wrote:163 votes thus far! I am kinda suprised, I half expected to only get the regulars to vote since it take time and effort.


Well, I guess you made it fun and easy, so NICE GOIN MAN! 8)
User avatar
morst
EB Team
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2864
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: SF

Postby piemel on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:31 am

It HURTS me to see a Jermaine Melvins poster nominated rather than any of the Richie Goodtimes Melvins posters...

Some really really bad poster art in that list.... but different strokes etc...
piemel
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:00 am

Postby dougr on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:25 am

piemel wrote:It HURTS me to see a Jermaine Melvins poster nominated rather than any of the Richie Goodtimes Melvins posters...

Some really really bad poster art in that list.... but different strokes etc...
feel free to nominate your choice for poster of the week. if it was nominated by someone, it was a candidate for this vote.
User avatar
dougr
Site Admin
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9741
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:00 am

Postby sunsetbrew on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:27 am

Next year, the bar will be raised slightly. Also, we will start the election on 1/7 instead of 1/1 to better handle NYE posters.
User avatar
sunsetbrew
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3613
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Image

Postby jojobadass on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:37 am

sunsetbrew wrote:Next year, the bar will be raised slightly. Also, we will start the election on 1/7 instead of 1/1 to better handle NYE posters.



that's ok, I can't see how any of this year's NYE posters could be poster of the year.......but, that makes sense.
User avatar
jojobadass
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 19924
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 12:00 am
Location: chick-fila

Postby Yamar on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:50 am

jojobadass wrote: I can't see how any of this year's NYE posters could be poster of the year.......but, that makes sense.


Why not a NYE print? Can't tell me that you don't see some quality NYE prints and IMHO many artists do some of their best work for those big ticket shows - I really enjoyed MMM's moe., Slater's Trey Anastasio, and Rob Jones's Raconteurs NYE prints for example.
User avatar
Yamar
Site Admin
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15193
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Ithaca, NY
Tra la la la la...

Postby jojobadass on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:22 am

Yamar wrote:
jojobadass wrote: I can't see how any of this year's NYE posters could be poster of the year.......but, that makes sense.


Why not a NYE print? Can't tell me that you don't see some quality NYE prints and IMHO many artists do some of their best work for those big ticket shows - I really enjoyed MMM's moe., Slater's Trey Anastasio, and Rob Jones's Raconteurs NYE prints for example.



Hey, I'm not knocking any of those prints, they're all fantastic......hell, go ahead and throw the pollock's and bilhiemer's in the mix. But, come on......poster of the year fantastic?

Even more difficult is that you're relying on a computer image......I'm sure they're all much better looking in person; even on 1/7 not many folks will have NYE prints in hand.
User avatar
jojobadass
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 19924
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 12:00 am
Location: chick-fila

PreviousNext

Return to News



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests