EB Site Assistance - Can You Help?

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:27 pm

Over the years, I've had a number of users on the site write me asking if there was a way they could help or inquiring if we ever needed assistance with the site itself.
As many of you are aware, we are currently working to overhaul the site in one fashion or another. And as part of this, we are looking for / soliciting anyone who does site work or has connections as such (friends, employers, etc.) that might want to put in a proposal. A few details are included below, but please contact myself (here via PM or via direct email at yamar3@hotmail.com) with interest and/or questions.

Thanks in advance and hopefully we can get things rolling soon...
-Brendan

Project to include:
Data rebuild and migration. The database will be redesigned for indexing and scaleability. All existing data will be migrated, and scripts will be written to manage data synchronization in the interim beta period.

User Authentication. The existing user model will be updated to contemporary encryption standards, and methods for existing users to update their accounts will be deployed.

CMS. TBD, however it is assumed there is some level of content administration of the site at large.

URLs. The URLS will be rewritten to contemporary routing standards and semantics. And necessary forwarding will be performed.

Front-end build. The front-end will be built according to provided designs, TBD.

Forum. The forum will be re-skinned to the new design, however ideally the backend will remain.

Vendor Integration: Application to include automated daily or weekly connection to various vendors resulting in data to be used and merged with the Expressobeans.com database.
Tra la la la la...
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:29 pm

:clap:
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
ceevee
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:53 pm

<bump>
1000steps
Art Expert

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Good luck with the overhaul, I am excited to see the results. :clap:
Yamar wrote:Vendor Integration: Application to include automated daily or weekly connection to various vendors resulting in data to be used and merged with the Expressobeans.com database.
This is interesting. How would this work?
Welcome to the sleaze pit
fredo
Art God

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:34 pm

Yay
just a foil for me today, thanks
morst
EB Team

Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:10 am

MOVING FORWARD!

I would like to see a new build of EB's front end with modern HTML5 compliance, ready for the next 5-10 years. I would love to see a responsive design that works differently on phones, tablets and large screens, and by using CSS (cascading style sheets), that should be pretty straightforward. If you look at the viewing area on a small phone versus the screen on a desktop monitor, you can see that there is room for a lot of info on a large screen that would just clutter up a phone display. I have seen references to the "1-2-3" rule, where phone browsers get a single column, tablets get a sidebar, and bigscreens get three columns total, with one added on the right. Also note that smaller screens are often viewed in the sun, so a high-contrast color scheme is needed in order to have readable text. (further info about media queries - http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_rwd_mediaqueries.asp )

Right now, I think the site is primarily PHP under the hood, and I know that the forum and the art database are separate servers, but both are very key to what goes on here. Note that the link for the forum is forum.expressobeans.com and not http://www...

I could go on. Please discuss. Anyone got a good hook-up here? 8)
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:31 am

Cue the botcru.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
beetlejuice
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:45 am

I use the Metro skin for a phpbb3 board and it works great for desktop/phone but not sure how it would integrate into what you guys have going. Pretty easy to edit to it to fit your needs though I've found.
Go ahead, make my millennium.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:47 am

Will EB look different? (hope not)
beetlejuice
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:51 am

RottenAtom wrote:Will EB look different? (hope not)
yamar wrote:Forum. The forum will be re-skinned to the new design
Go ahead, make my millennium.
Luckyslev

Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:08 pm

Oh god!!! I'm so excited!!!
"Hey baby Jesus, you wanna do Pilates?"
DasDani
Art Enthusiast

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:24 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
:drool: :drool: :drool:

good luck guys!
i wish i could help
but i am not a computer nerd .....
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Excellent overview picture, Brendan.
Good luck, guys!
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:56 pm

What's the budget? :groucho:
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:10 pm

Codeblue wrote:What's the budget? :groucho:
That's kind of the idea in soliciting help/bids - to get ideas of various bids and options in the scope of the project...
Tra la la la la...