^ Why? It’s fun, don’t you see? Haha.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:17 pm

ManOfSteel wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:58 am
tbraun76 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:57 pm
So I will represent the unpopular opinion. Jake Kontou won both categories fair and square. It is wrong to say otherwise and the bashing of the print is really disappointing.

If a technical mistake led to the two categories, fine but then it should be a revote because who is to say which print would have won in that instance. In any case, Jake should congratulated for a great print and a dedicated fan base.

No stake in this...I have none of the prints involved and both artists are excellent in very different ways.

Now please try to be a little respectful and let the fix happen as best possible. Mistakes occur...so be it .

I completely agree! There are also unfounded claims circulating that "noobs" joined the site solely to vote on Jake's piece. The print had a very limited run, and there were other projects with a larger print run and artist following. I do not believe for one minute there was any manipulation in the voting process. It would be helpful for an administrator to clarify whether or not this was the case.

If a significant number of people on this site genuinely perceive this category as meant exclusively for gig posters, then it raises the question: why didn't a gig poster win? Considering that there were artists bigger (following) than Jake in this category.
Ironic you’re agreeing with a guy who hasn’t been on EB for 6 months.
Absolutely zero experience in the matter.

Very telling the video game cover had zero comments.
Zero.

I can only type the same thing so many drymounting times.
Posters aren’t supposed to be in multiple categories.
That’s why there are categories.

Someone please notify Marq he won.
Thanks.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:35 pm

jojobadass wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:00 pm
or just get rid of the awards all together
Hmm…
It will avoid Call Of Duty 19 from sweeping all three catagories next January… and a bunch of noobs saying it’s no big deal.
Intriguing.

On a serious note:
If I were Mr EB, or accepted the invites to be a mod years ago, I’d implement the Poster Of The Year integrity shield.
I’d spit out some code that only allows members to vote that have been here a minimum 6 months or so.

This will happen again.
Fingers crossed it will be limited to a Shart Print push and the gig poster catagory will remain sacred in the eyes of the old timers.
My guess is it will be some kind of jackass Facebook campaign to elect a stinker as a joke.
Just a hunch.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:20 pm

turnJBup wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:35 pm
jojobadass wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:00 pm
or just get rid of the awards all together
Hmm…
It will avoid Call Of Duty 19 from sweeping all three catagories next January… and a bunch of noobs saying it’s no big deal.
Intriguing.

On a serious note:
If I were Mr EB, or accepted the invites to be a mod years ago, I’d implement the Poster Of The Year integrity shield.
I’d spit out some code that only allows members to vote that have been here a minimum 6 months or so.

This will happen again.
Fingers crossed it will be limited to a Shart Print push and the gig poster catagory will remain sacred in the eyes of the old timers.
My guess is it will be some kind of jackass Facebook campaign to elect a stinker as a joke.
Just a hunch.
This dude treating it like the Oscars man, we get it, stop painting with broad strokes and assuming anyone that doesn’t take the awards THIS seriously is a noob or rigging the voting system. Why the hell does it mean so much to you anyway? Yes it isn’t right it won the gig poster category and arguably the cinema poster category either. I get you are a veteran but seriously it is MEANT TO BE FUN. Maybe you’d like to tell the noobs how exactly it was such a ‘big deal’ back in the day? Did any artists get any meaningful exposure for winning? Did they win anything? These are genuine questions because right now I can only see someone getting way too worked up about a community vote and being dismissive of the rest of the community.
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:45 pm

Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:48 pm

The winning artists used to get some kind of physical award, iirc. Not sure if they still do or not. Exposure...maybe once upon a time...
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
KipPotapych
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:53 pm

Kramerica wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:48 pm
The winning artists used to get some kind of physical award, iirc. Not sure if they still do or not. Exposure...maybe once upon a time...
Funny enough, right on that award it says (or said) “Gigposter of the year”, lol.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:32 pm

jvwoodford wrote:

This dude treating it like the Oscars man, we get it, stop painting with broad strokes and assuming anyone that doesn’t take the awards THIS seriously is a noob or rigging the voting system. Why the hell does it mean so much to you anyway? Yes it isn’t right it won the gig poster category and arguably the cinema poster category either. I get you are a veteran but seriously it is MEANT TO BE FUN. Maybe you’d like to tell the noobs how exactly it was such a ‘big deal’ back in the day? Did any artists get any meaningful exposure for winning? Did they win anything? These are genuine questions because right now I can only see someone getting way too worked up about a community vote and being dismissive of the rest of the community.
Since you asked:
Yes.
Winners received trophies.
Emek has a ton of them and is grateful as drymount.
This was a tight knit website with a lot of traffic.
Pollstar awards got some press, sure, but that’s just wine and cheese passers-by voting on dry mounted posters.
The EB award was the nod from the true fans.. the poster freaks and connoisseurs.
Yup. About 15 years before you arrived throwing a shade on this place, gig poster artists were here quite often.
It was a community of artists and Fans.
Longtime fans becoming artists.
Sadly fuckheads overran our community and the days when artists would post in the threads is long gone.
But hell yes it’s substantial to win the poster of the year. It’s acknowledgment from the true fans and collectors. Not the Facebook minty fresh raffle asses.
Confident that if you were here in the 2000’s you would be backing us instead of doing whatever it is your doing.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:47 pm

I think George is the last artist that posts that comes to mind?
He collects too… I’ve traded Emeks with him.
Haven’t seen Emek post in years.
Klausen, Tidwell, Chuck, Marq…
Hell didn’t Shep used to be on here?
The Methane guys…
Kozik was in here with everyone raising hell.

The place has changed.
100%.
But what it was is still how I view it.
If I didn’t take all those art classes in college for apparently no reason, this would be the award I would be most proud of.
So yeah, I’m going to pour a big glass of loud mouth and try to get Marq his trophy.
He’s good people.
One of us, and that 1st place award, even if it’s only a nod these days, is his.
YellowBedwetter
Art Expert

Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:51 pm

^^^ here here, cheers ^^^
tbraun76
Art Enthusiast

Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:18 pm

nah, dont get rid of the award.... just rerun the one print vote and lets move on already if the eb admins feel there was an error.

This an additional breakout of posters is a very valid suggestion
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:09 am

turnJBup wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:32 pm
jvwoodford wrote:

Since you asked:
Yes.
Winners received trophies.
Emek has a ton of them and is grateful as drymount.
This was a tight knit website with a lot of traffic.
Pollstar awards got some press, sure, but that’s just wine and cheese passers-by voting on dry mounted posters.
The EB award was the nod from the true fans.. the poster freaks and connoisseurs.
Yup. About 15 years before you arrived throwing a shade on this place, gig poster artists were here quite often.
It was a community of artists and Fans.
Longtime fans becoming artists.
Sadly fuckheads overran our community and the days when artists would post in the threads is long gone.
But hell yes it’s substantial to win the poster of the year. It’s acknowledgment from the true fans and collectors. Not the Facebook minty fresh raffle asses.
Confident that if you were here in the 2000’s you would be backing us instead of doing whatever it is your doing.
Thanks for the insight, your reaction makes a little more sense now but honestly you are still being aggressive. Again, surely you can see how the scene has changed and this isn't 2003 anymore, right? And I'm sure you are aware there are plenty of people who joined since then who contribute to the community and help keep this site funded via posting auctions, adding art entries, etc. So maybe relax on the sass a bit, there's no need to be so angry towards anyone that isn't a 'true fan', in your eyes at least. It's ironic that anyone using the term 'true fans' with this sort of vitriol always reminds me of the worst aspects of these 'Facebook minty fresh raffle asses' you speak of.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:10 am

one of the best threads observed in a while

hammer, sand and polish

:lurk:

here's my thread graffiti

EB rulez
turnJBup
Art Freak

Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:00 pm

Insight goes in one ear and out the other.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:38 pm

This aint gonna matter when the Russians take over the place.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.